Koala Bamboo is a proud participant in Earth Hour 2020. On Saturday, the 28th of March, at 8:30pm our team will #SwitchOff in support of the event. Earth Hour is a global movement that originated in Sydney in 2007. It is an annual event, usually held on the last Saturday of March, where participants switch off all the lights in their house. Switching off the lights is a symbolic action to tell key-decision makers that we support our planet. Over 180 countries around the world participate each year.
The 2020 event is critical, as it is a year of global meetings about environmental policy. The Koala Bamboo team are passionate about helping the environment and are very excited to be participating this year.
The essential meetings that will be held in 2020 on environmental policy include:
- Firstly, the High-Level Political Forum, 7-16 July 2020, New York, USA
- 75th UN General Assembly (UNGA), 15-30 September 2020, New York, USA
- Leaders’ Biodiversity Summit, ~20 September 2020, New York, USA
- UN Convention on Biological Diversity (COP-15), ~ 5-10 October 2020, Kunming, China
- Lastly, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP-26), 9-20 November 2020, Glasgow, Scotland
Earth Hour has proven very successful and has been the key driver for many changes over the last 13 years including:
- Influencing climate policy in countries like Russia, Argentina, Ecuador and Wales.
- Successfully pushing for environmentally friendly laws, including a ban on plastic in the Galapagos Islands.
- Planting half a million trees and inspire the world’s first Earth Hour protected forest in Uganda.
- Creating awareness among individuals and companies to reduce their carbon footprint and switch to sustainable lifestyles.
- Replacing toxic kerosene lamps with thousands of solar lights in rural communities of Papua New Guinea, helping provide hours of light for children to study, live and play.
While you’re sitting in the dark on March 28th at 8:30pm AEDT, follow this link to access a live-stream video to keep you entertained throughout Earth Hour: https://www.earthhour.org.au/earth-hour-live
Tell your family and friends about this movement on social media by firstly, using the hashtag #SwitchOff and secondly, tagging @earthhour_australia. Earth Hour is an initiative supported by WWF (World Wild Fund for Nature).
Please help to support this movement by joining us on Saturday 28th March to switch off the lights in your home from 8:30pm- 9:30pm.